Tuesday 25 November 2008

Self Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN LEVEL 02
Module Title Design 4 print/colour 4 print
END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION
NAME Oli Semp BLOG. ADDRESS o-semp.blogspot.com





1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?


The first thing I have learned is how to manage my time a lot better, enabling me to produce a lot more work in a quicker amount of time. I have also learned how to be a lot quicker with my decision-makings, enabling me to become more inventive with the ideas and creativeness within my work. Print is something I have always been interested in taking further within my work. I feel from this module I have a much greater understand of not just print but also colour. I never realised how many techniques and processes were involved in print production, but the different techniques and processes of which you have to go through are extremely interesting and learning about these gave me a greater understanding that graphic design is not just designing work, but all the technical information that goes with it.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I firstly researched in to the word good and from there decided where I was going to go next. I started off with the idea of plastic surgery, but a week in to the brief I felt after talking to some people that it is a sensitive topic and if not handle correctly could end up being offensive. I then when away and decided to research in to what is good, and I found 10 bad things that are actually good for you proven by scientists. After researching more, I came up with the idea of doing a new campaign, like the 5 a day, which I also researched, but it would be a 7 a week campaign, meaning I would have to narrow the 10 down to 7. I then thought that primary research was necessary to work out which 7 I should use, so I put a questionnaire together. After getting responses from the questionnaires I didn’t not find them useful at all, realising I shouldn’t just do questionnaires because I feel I have to, only do research that is relevant to the brief I am working on at the time. I also researched in to print and costing, but I found his very difficult as I contacted many printers by phone and by email on several occasions and none got back to me, but after researching on the internet I came across some prices of some of the products that I would be producing and the relevant print processes.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


I feel that my strengths are designing promotional material and print. I thoroughly enjoy designing logos, flyers, posters etc. I feel it is something I can get my teeth into and come up with some interesting ideas for. I also feel a lot more confident with Illustrator, especially over this brief, I have become a lot quicker whilst using it and constantly learning new things.




4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

The weaknesses I can see are in my development. I have a habit of just jumping straight on to a computer and start designing, but not showing my idea generations. I need to start drawing thumbnail sketches showing the processes I have gone through, not just for the assessment, but also for me as a designer to look back on and understand how I got to my final products and critically analyse my work and maybe learn how to progress further. Although I have got a lot better at crafting in this module, I still feel I need to take more care when doing this. It comes to a point when I get tired and bored and rush the crafting of a product, but to get the best results I need to be more patient in order to make my carefully designed layouts, that I have produced on Illustrator look their best. Colour is something that I have learned a lot more about, but it is a process I still struggle a bit with so I feel I have a lot more to learn about.


5. Identify four things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. I will start the brief when I first get it, even though my organisation and time management have improved a great amount, I sill feel the first week where I am slow to start looking at the brief would allow me to produce a greater amount of work to a much higher quality.

2. I feel that I need to start doing more thumbnail drawings to generate my ideas further, in order to help me design something to my greatest ability.

3. I have been lazy and done very little on my blog. The blog is something I don’t really like working with, but I have to understand that it will help me keep up to date with what I am doing, and once again look back and help me grow as a designer.

4. I need to stop being safe and stay with what I am good at. I know the software I am good at using but I need to start increasing my skills as a designer, allowing my self to have a better understanding of the programmes and techniques that are available.



6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using the number corresponding to the words below)


                              5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

Attendance 4

Punctuality 4

Motivation 4 

Commitment 4

Quantity of work produced 4 

Quality of work produced 4

 


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments: